Friday, July 27, 2012

The Quest for the 'Holy Grail'

After much debating and negotiating a woman hatched a deal with me. I would be granted anything I wanted from her, anything, if I delivered to her a specific book. She told me the name of the book and warned me that I would learn it was exceptionally difficult to find.



With the name of the book in mind I ventured forth towards the nearest book store. The store had never heard of the book, had never held it on their shelves and had no sign of holding it in the future. I take my second choice and embark towards the Library. The library had no traces of the book, no catalog for it, no sign of ever holding the book or ever intending on having the book.

Rather annoyed with this turn of events, I returned home in defeat and dedicated time to research. The book featured an ominous cover and ominous title, muted colors depicted an image in textures and styles appropriate for the time it was made.

It was a lewd and scandalous novel, the cover made a subtle promise that tickled my curiosity. Unfortunately, the book had been out of print for over 40 years.

I refused to allow this turn of events to stop me, I would seek out the book, I would find it and I would present it to this woman in exchange for my prize. I searched for wherever the book could be hiding, I investigated online and in person.

Over the course of a year I'd poke my attention through various stores and antique locations, online and offline, always in search of the book and always returning empty handed. Friends who presented themselves to me a sleuths would be met with a challenge to find this book, and despite their earnest efforts, they would come away empty handed.

The book had become such a challenge, simply collecting my prize would no longer be enough. As soon as the book was within my hands I would greedily devour the book and read it from first word to last. The book that had remained hidden from the public world for so long would be a unique chapter of knowledge that I and few others possess.

The quest for the book would continue for four long years. Over this course of time I came into the acquaintance of a young Russian who soon became my friend. The Russian casually mentioned, "Between my friend and I, nearly the world is at our fingertips."

I carefully breached the topic, hopeful, but not expectant of success, "There is a book I've been looking for." I told myself that perhaps the Russian would have access to sources outside the country I had never known of, beyond what my previous comrades could accomplish through our efforts.

"What book?"

I answered, and to my surprise I was rewarded with success. The briefly mentioned friend sent me the book and as my eyes rolled over the cover I questioned the Russian, "Have you read it?"

"It does not interest me" were the final words I heard before I let the pages of the book consume me.

I read the book from the first word to last and finally conquered the goal I had pursued for years now.
 
I thought with bitter resentment on the scarcity of the book and how long it had been out of print. It had taken me till now to realize that perhaps the book was never truly known or recognized is because the book was horrible and poorly thought out.

Few owned the book because few were even willing to buy it. The book ceased to be printed because no profit was being made. I had spent four years now, eagerly hunting this book with assumption I was hunting a thing of worth.

I finally deliver the book to the woman who requested it. Admittedly she was impressed how thoroughly I had completed my quest but she was far less impressed with the book and scarcely skimmed it.


At least my prize made it worth it, God damn it.

1 comment: