Thursday, April 4, 2013

Awkward Interaction

I did not always have this social grace you see here, to talk to myself, about myself on a regular basis. In fact, there was a time when I was entirely awkward, especially around other people.

From my socialization with my pet dogs and birds, I picked up an affectionate gesture in which I bump the tip of my nose to the nose of someone else. My dogs of course understood the act and responded to our noses bumping with much love and joy. My birds understood my intentions and nuzzled in return.

When my pets overwhelmed me with a feeling of adoration, I would bump our noses in a wordless gesture of my appreciation. My pets understood me well.

Alas, the world is a large place and is often filled with people. I found myself at a social gathering in which I was talking to people, rather than animals. I found myself talking to a young woman and she was indeed a shining example of mastering social surroundings. She introduced me to her lover, she told me about her dreams and goals, she shared several hobbies and we enjoyed a good conversation.

This woman told me a marvelous joke and at that instant I decided I had all intentions of being this person's friend. She was smart and witty and wonderful, and she deserved a bump on the nose.



I leaned forward to bump her nose with my own and she was understandably unfamiliar with the gesture. She responded by putting her hands up and cautiously leaning away with a loud but firm "Woah!"

The party became a bit quiet and everyone turned to stare, finding me leaning forward into her personal space. Making friends became a little bit more difficult after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment